Following our recent discovery of "Super Love" by the sensational pop singer June, and as we still have her entire music catalogue on loop! We felt compelled to know more about the star behind the music so we reached out to June with some questions, from how it all started to what we should be expecting..
• Tell us about yourself and background?
Music for me started at the age early age of four. I started playing classical piano, and that slowly progressed into my singing. At age sixteen, I had my first opportunity to work in a studio making music. From this point forward, I knew the music industry was something I could see permanently in my future. Currently, I'm spending my time creating music / songwriting to release. I look forward to the world listening to my music and the reason why I want to impact the music industry.
• What or who inspired you to start making music?
The concept of creative freedom inspired me to make music!
• How would you describe your sound?
My sound is experimental, I love playing around with electro-pop.
• How do you want to come across as an artist?
I want to come across as an artist who through my actions-continuous growth is necessary in the music industry.
• What artist would you compare yourself to and why?
I wouldn’t compare myself to an artist, but I greatly admire Taylor Swift. Her ability to make her songs feel like part of your story is remarkable. I see myself in her, wanting people listening to my songs to find a meaningful connection that fits in their story.
• What is the most meaningful and personal song you have written?
"Replace Me" is the most meaningful song I have ever written. I tell people it's my "coming of age song" that was long overdue.
• How do you keep up your creativity and motivation?
As life goes on, I'll continue to write about friends, family, and relationships; my creativity will never die. I keep motivated by reminding myself that 16-year-old me still has goals to achieve.
• How do you see your sound evolving in the next few years?
I'm excited to see my sound evolve over time as I explore and push myself vocally.
• What are your musical highlights so far?
Easily "Super Love" being on an editorial playlist created by Spotify!
• Do you have any other interests or hobbies you’d like to share?
Cooking keeps me busy in between work, I love trying new recipes!
• Are you signed with any label or management?
Currently I'm an independent artist.
• What differentiates you from other artists in the industry?
I hope people recognise me as a woman of colour making pop music and trying to redefine it in my way.
• What track or artist do you often listen to?
"Sure thing" by Miguel
• If you could work with any artist or band, who would it be and why?
"Emily Warren" she’s just simply amazing, I would love co-write with her one day!
• What would you like to see more of to support new and emerging musicians like yourself?
Like myself, I would like to see new emerging artist get more exposure on major playlist!
• So what’s next for June, what should we be expecting?
Expect new sounds from me, I’m thrilled for this new year in my musical explorations.
Connect with June: